Monday, February 12, 2007

rainy days and mondays

I've been floating along a few feet above the ground all week, so I guess it was inevitable that my energy would drop at some point. Today Yvette and I were going to go try the Colosseum again (for the third time - we kept going too late in the day) but I just woke up on the wrong side of the letto this morning or something. I was kind of in a fog through class and then decided I needed a quiet day alone. I decided I would go buy "Harry Potter E Il Principe Mezzosangue" and then spend the afternoon trying to get through the first five pages of it.

Yvette left for the Colosseum, after making complicated plans as to what time I should be in the room (we share a room key, it hasn't really been an issue until today) so she can still get in. About two minutes after we parted I realized that she had the room key instead of me. So I figured we'd figure something out later, and walked a long ways to get to a bookstore that I had been told of, found the book, and then left the store and turned left to leave, which was the complete wrong direction.

While Snow Pea, being her usual handy self, has basically been my GPS for this trip, I really didn't think that I wouldn't be able to make my way home from the bookstore (especially since I do have one of those pieces of paper with pictures of the roads drawn on them... maps, I think people use to call them), but somehow turning the wrong way that first time just threw me off. After going for a while in the wrong direction, I realized where I was and that I was near a coffeeshop that had been recommended to me (I had asked about one with couches... here in the cafés, or bars as they're called, you just stand at a counter and throw your espresso back like whiskey) so I looked for that for a long time, with no luck. I was kind of lost in this labyrinth of cute little back streets when it started to rain so I decided to head home (the place I had no key to get into). And that's when the ridiculously circular wandering began. I really don't know what on earth I was doing, but I passed the Pantheon three times. After literally two hours of walking in the rain I emerged from an alley into the piazza WITH THE STORE WHERE I BOUGHT HARRY POTTER. It was like one of those Family Circus cartoons where the mom tells Billy to go do something and come straight back, and you see the little dotted lines where he wanders in little circles all over the place. And it wasn't any funnier today than it is in Family Circus. So anyway, this time I turned right from the bookstore, like I should have done to begin with, and walked my little stubs of feet to this internet cafe near our apartment. Now I'm sitting here waiting to see if Yvette finds me. I hope she's not sitting somewhere else hoping the same thing.

3 comments:

  1. "And it wasn't funny today, just like it's not funny in Family Circus." OK, but that line was funny. So there's that, at least. This will be humorous later, like a few weeks/months from now. Assuming she finds you.

    And I'm glad you can stay up on Anna Nicole from so far away. How do you say 5 possible daddies in Italiano?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you did it!!! That's my favorite thing to do in Rome, to go to that part of il centro, and make myself get lost. After years of trapsing through there, it always turns me around. It's wild. That is really, my favorite thing to do there. To wander and see what Rome puts in my path. :) I'm so happy it happened that way with you :) I know you're not fond of the memory, but it'll grow on you. I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious how you made your way around LA before you had the navigation system?

    Italy looks amazing and it's so fun to have a window into your adventures.

    ReplyDelete