Thursday, October 2, 2008

babies are the new black

One accomplishment I didn't mention in my list was the creation of life. This particular achievement is no less spectacular for its (increasing and worrisome) popularity in my group of friends.

Today I met Haven, daughter of Karla and Aaron, six and a half pounds of finger sucking adorableness. I like babies. But I'm a little scared of them. I think when Bethany was small my parents spent an inordinate amount of time warning me about her "soft spot" and telling me I was "going to pull her arm out of the socket." I used to have a recurring nightmare that I went to pick her up and ended up with just a little baby arm in my hand.

I made Aaron hand Haven over very slowly and explain to me what to do, like I was a little kid who had never held a baby before.

I didn't get any pictures, which is too bad, because I look good with babies. I'm thinking of carrying one around as an accessory. Maybe with one of those cushiony tutus.

3 comments:

  1. haah! i love it. isn't she the BEST? pictures just do NOT do her justice! glad you got to meet and hold her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as of this morning, she still has two arms attached to her body.

    So good to see you yesterday - you are welcome any time. Seriously, any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... nice to know you have such wonderful memories of me as a baby....

    ReplyDelete