Sunday, October 12, 2008

justice is what love looks like in public

Tonight Heidi, Brie, and I went to see the "rockumentary" Call + Response, which is a look at slavery and human trafficking, directed and produced by singer/songwriter Justin Dillon. The musical segments were directed by our pastor, Brandon Dickerson.



The movie is heart-wrenching, and it's impossible to watch it and not want to do something. In one scene, five or six-year-old girls in a Cambodian brothel proposition a man with a video camera posing as a client, telling him they "do good yum yum," the brothel's word for oral sex.

CallGary Haugen, the head of International Justice Mission, says in the movie that it's easy to be caught in either apathy or the paralysis of despair. To be so overwhelmed by the pain of the world that you shut it out.

This is one small thing I can do today: I can tell you that if you live in one of the following cities...

Atlanta
Denver
Portland
Seattle
Austin
Los Angeles
Redwood City
Washington DC
Boston
Minneapolis
San Diego
Chicago
Nashville
San Francisco
Dallas
Orange County
San Jose

...you should go see Call + Response. (100% of the profits from theatrical release, DVD sales, and soundtrack are going directly to efforts to stop human trafficking. The website is www.callandresponse.com.)

I promise you will not regret it.
This is not my voice
This is not my choice
This is somebody's baby
They don't know my age
They don't know my name
They just call me
Baby

~"Baby Blue"
Lyrics by Justin Dillon

1 comment:

  1. i love the fact that it gives you small ways that you can start acting. it's so different than most other documentaries. so awesome.

    ReplyDelete