Monday, October 13, 2008

personality crisis

I had to take a personality test the other day as part of some training that I'm doing.

This test gives you sets of four personality traits and asks you to rank each set from 1 to 4, from "most like you" to "least like you." For example:

Cheerful
Precise
Courageous
Merciful

So you have to go, like, "OK, I'm very cheerful, so that's a 4, I'm not courageous, so that's a 1, I'm pretty precise, so that's a 3, and I'm not so merciful, so that's a 2."

Except - and correct me if I'm wrong here - couldn't one person be very courageous, very cheerful, very precise, and very merciful? Or very cowardly, very morose, very vague, and very cruel? But you can't put all 4s or all 1s. You have to pick one number for each trait.

So I had a lot of trouble with the test. I think in one answer I said I was 4, very detailed, and then two questions later, said I was 1, not at all meticulous.

My results were outside of the range of any of the personality types. It said something along the lines of, "You have no personality. Come back and try again when you know who you are."

6 comments:

  1. haah! that is amazing! i have given up on personality profiles - i think they are stupid and most of the time not accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that same answer every time I take one of those tests. Maybe I need a personality transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://careerdirectonline.org/personalityID/share/?i=33347C32387C34357C35337C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently, you passed on your personality to give it to your little sister. You're so erratically kind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! that happens to me all the time too. the first personality test that ever got me right was the color one... you know, they label you a blue, white, red, or yellow. (i'm a blue, btw.) for the most part though, i'm always middle of the road and those tests can never figure me out. which is fine. b/c, you can't label me! don't put me in a box, man! i'm a unique snowflake, damn it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feeling you, sister. According to Meyers-Briggs, I'm an E/I-N-F/T-P... which means of 8 descriptive possibilities, I'm only NOT the following: wait... what's the alternative to an "N"...? Well, I'm not that...

    ah... @(*&!! it.

    Those things are made for people with no personality... a tool to help them feel better about themselves, or something. How funny is it that we've come to a place where we try to "objectively quantify" something so beautifully subjective as "personality"??

    ReplyDelete